Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Elements of Style

This is brilliant. It really inspires me that someone can write so concisely. Here is the example I just read in Elements of Style:

Example 1 (55 words): Macbeth was very ambitious. This led him to wish to become king of Scotland. The witches told him that this wish of his would come true. The king of Scotland at this time was Duncan. Encouraged by his wife, Macbeth murdered Duncan. He was thus enabled to succeed Duncan as king.

Example 2 (26 words): Encouraged by his wife, Macbeth achieved his ambition and realized the prediction of the witches by murdering Duncan and becoming king of Scotland in his place.

I really have found it hard to concentrate on concise writing while also having an appropriate amount and depth of the content. A good review, our wise professor told us, really needs to function in many ways for the reader; it should inform, entertain, and advocate for the consumers interests. It also should be relevant and organized. After reading this book, and being inspired in particular by the concise writing element, I realize that a focus on my words- choice, conciseness, and other technicalities will allow me greater space and flexibility in the content of my reviews.

Having said this, I know I also need to spend more time actually writing, editing, re-writing, etc. I have to work at this, its not so natural for me.

1 comment:

  1. Well, looks like you know what to do--that's fantastic. Of course, knowing and doing are two different things, but you can do it. Saying a lot in a few number of words is one of the best things one can take away from the practice of journalism, if you ask me. . . .

    ReplyDelete