Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Elements of Style (post #2)

Usually I hate hearing the same thing over and over again. For some reason, I don't feel that way about this book. Even though I know I have learned all of these writing tools over the years, its almost reassuring to have them all in black and white in this book in front of me.

This is another inspiring rule I want to keep pushing myself to do every paragraph.

Begin each paragraph with a topic sentence; end it in conformity with the beginning.

simple, no? Not for those of us who are organizationally challenged. I usually don't doubt my ability to think deeply and widely, but I really douby my ability to effectively organize those thoughts. From the beginning to the end of a paragraph and will get lost in all the things I want to say with each word/sentence, or what I want the bigger picture to be, that I lose the ability to craft a simple thought well. I lose the ability to start and finish an idea so that I can move on, point clearly stated.

No comments:

Post a Comment